In 1942 the Neffsville Community Fire Company formed an auxiliary organization (Southern Manheim Township Fire Company) to protect the southern portion of the township. The auxiliary group was first based in a garage at the former Shirk Motor Company on Manheim Pike (across from the former Lancaster Malleable). It remained an auxiliary group to Neffsville Fire Company until 1946 when it separated from them. Ben Stahl was the first Southern Manheim Township fire chief.
Its first fire truck was a 1921 500-gallon pumper donated by the Neffsville Fire Company. This unit was its only fire truck until 1948 when the fire company acquired a 1948 Diamond T Buffalo Pumper for $8,100 that featured a 350-gallon water tank and 1,200 feet of 2.5 inch hose. This unit is still maintained as an antique in the fire station museum. In 1955 a new two-story two-bay fire station, able to house four fire trucks, was built at Fruitville Pike and Orchard Street. This station underwent several additions over the years which included acquiring and razing houses along Fruitvllle Pike so the fire station could expand. This station is still in service and currently houses Engine 201 and auxiliary vehicles.